Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Initial Thoughts on Flipped Learning

I just recently left the classroom after 18 yrs of teaching. I am now the District IT Training Developer. We recently picked a new LMS after having Angel for many years. We will begin implementation this spring.
 
With the new LMS, I think a flipped classroom is a natural fit for our district. I've done some reading on it and talked to a few friends that use this format in their own classrooms, but I really wanted to learn more about a flipped classroom so that I can help my former colleagues start to implement it in their classrooms. It makes sense to me to use this type of learning environment in our district because of the need for more small group interaction with the students. When I was teaching, not a day went by that I didn't wish I had more time to work in small groups with certain students. Had I flipped my classroom, I could have used that extra time to work with the struggling students and gotten them to grade level faster than I had.
 
During this class, I want to learn more about the different types of flipped learning that I have read about: flipped classroom, mastery flipped classroom, and an in-class flip. I want to be able to train the teachers on all three types so that they can find the one that fits their needs.

 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool that you're moving into a coaching role from a classroom role. I've seen that transition be very successful for a lot of people because you know the needs of the teachers you're working with.

    In terms of the "type" of flip, I think of it more like finding a flavor you like. They're not mutually exclusive...some days, it's all in-class. Others include homework of some kind. The big thing we focus on is actually making sure students are learning. It removes a lot of pressure on **how** to do something when you can focus on **why** you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete