Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Reflecting on Intentional Content

The basis of Intentional Content is what any good teacher would do. They determine what they need to teach and what materials are needed for students to learn. The difference with a flipped class is that the teacher needs to determine what materials are needed for the students to explore on their own. The idea is to maximize the classroom time in order to have student centered activities in which they participate in active learning.

I prioritize concepts used in direct instruction for learners to access on their own.

When I begin thinking about how I would flip a math class, I think that I could spend less than 5 minutes on direct instruction. In a typical classroom it would take longer than that because I would have fielded questions and done more examples as the students needed them. With the flipped class, you just need to get the facts out there. The next day is when you would field questions and do more sample problems in small groups as needed. I honestly think that math would be the easiest class to flip just because of the nature of it.

Since I also taught science and social studies, I've thought about what I would do for those classes as well. In Social Studies, I thought that I might have students take their notes on a foldable for their INBs. Then class time could be used for discussions and projects. I would love to have them create presentations using one the of green screen apps. Science class might be similar except on days before labs. I think it was in Jonathan and Aaron's book where I read that the night before they recommend having students do pre-lab activities in preparation of the next day. This sounded like a very good idea to me. 

I create and/or curate relevant content (typically videos) for my students.

This is pretty straight forward. I've already started making some of my own videos for math and have created a resources page of YouTube channels that teachers can use in a flipped class.

I differentiate to make content accessible and relevant to my students.

This should be going on in every classroom, but unfortunately it's not. We are adopting a new LMS and I believe that it will make this process easier on teachers in my district. The LMS will allow teachers to assign assignments to an individual student or groups of students.

No comments:

Post a Comment