Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Reflecting on Learning Culture

The second pillar of Flipped Learning is the Learning Culture. In a flipped class the "teaching" switches from the teacher to the student. The class now has a learner-centered approach where the student uses class time to explore topics in greater depth that creates richer learning opportunities. This results in students being involved in their knowledge construction in which they participate in and evaluate their learning making it mean more to them.
I give students opportunities to engage in meaningful activities without the teacher being central.

When I was in the classroom, I would often give the students projects in which they had a set of guidelines. This is probably the most freedom I would allow them in the classroom other than teaching them multiple ways to solve something and giving them the option of choosing the method that worked best for them. But even then, sometimes that was too much for some students and they floundered without the structure they were use to in school.

Looking at this from my new position (training the teachers), the first thing that comes to mind is that I need to tell them to start out slowly. Don't try to do it all at once or even in one school year. As I've heard others say who have implemented a flipped class, this is something entirely new to most students. The students have been so used to being told exactly what to learn and how to do it, that I think a lot of them are going to struggle with having the freedom to make some choices of their own. There is be some that will thrive with this new way of learning right from the beginning, but I honestly believe that they will be in the minority.

To get this to work, we have to start at the bottom and work our way up each year. If we can start with students in kindergarten, then that will be the only way they have learned, this idea won't be foreign to them when they reach the intermediate grades or middle school. But from what I have seen, there are very few primary grades using this method to teach. I've been trying to find some primary teachers to go observe and see how they implement a flipped or even a blended class. I can't find anyone.

I've thought of choosing an elementary school and helping them implement a flipped learning environment. Then when others ask for help in implementation, I can refer them to this school as an example of it working in the elementary school. I have the ok from my boss, but we still need to get the approval from the higher ups...

I scaffold these activities and make them accessible to all students through differentiation and feedback.

This is huge in the education world today, not just in a flipped class, although I do think that with the use of an LMS and a flipped classroom, it would make it a lot easier to implement. This is definitely an area that I would like to learn more about as we implement the LMS across the district. How does this look in an LMS? I would love to sit down with a teacher that uses a flipped model as well as an LMS at each of the following grade levels:  k-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12. Most of the people I have come across are all high school teachers...

No comments:

Post a Comment