Thursday, February 25, 2016

Reflecting on Professional Educator

The fourth and final pillar of a Flipped Learning Environment is Professional Educator. Reading through the statements, I feel that any good teacher should be doing this whether you have a traditional setup of your class or are doing a flipped model. It is just good teaching.

I make myself available to all students for individual, small group and class feedback in real time as needed.
 
When I was teaching math, I often had at least one other teacher in the class with me. This was invaluable to being able to reach all the students. On great days, I also had the ESL assistant in my class, who was a wiz at math and able to explain the math to our ESL students in both their native tongue as well as in English.

Moving to a flipped model, just makes doing this easier because you have more time for those interactions with students during the school day.
 
I conduct ongoing formative assessments during class time through observation and by recording data to inform future instruction.
 
 I was constantly assessing the students. I was constantly looking at what they were producing to see their level of achievement. I would give mini quizzes that were only worth a couple of points (too many would rush if it wasn't worth something) that told me whether I could move on to another topic or if I needed to spend more time on the topic.

I could definitely see myself making units and putting them up on an LMS and attempt to do a mastery flipped class. I do think that I would have to have some deadlines in place so that students could keep a certain pace or some of them would never get a unit done. I don't remember if I read this or if it was said in one of the webinars but I liked that this person had short deadlines (end of week), medium deadlines (in a couple of weeks) and then end of the 9 weeks deadlines (it might have been Troy Cockrum). That really stuck with me. 
 
I collaborate and reflect with other educators and take responsibility for transforming my practice.

This is huge!! I was the only teacher at my school that taught what I did. Luckily, I was the district trainer for the math and science departments and was able to talk with others across the district when I did training.  I have also found groups of teachers online, particularly on Facebook, to collaborate with. This allows me to interact with teachers not only in my city, but across the world! I looked for a flipped classroom group and couldn't find one, so I just created one of my own. If you would like to join, you can find us HERE.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment